Monday, January 3, 2011

Really want to give Virginia Woolf some love...

I'm honestly sad that I don't like Mrs. Dalloway. I always wanted to like Virginia Woolf, but nothing she's written has ever appealed to me. It's also disappointing because she's one of the few female authors on my list. And I am vaguely annoyed that she appears twice on the list, so even when this book is through, I'm stuck with the other one. So in some ways, Virginia Woolf is setting a new precedent for the project: I will finish each book even if I dislike it immensely.

I have to admit, too, that I did not read anything off the list during the bulk of my vacation. I brought Mrs. Dalloway and The Moviegoer (thanks to Johanna for lending them), but I couldn't push myself to do it. I did, however, manage to watch the Doctor Who Christmas Special, twice; muscle through almost all of Torchwood; listen to Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon & The Fifth Horseman by James Patterson.

Oh, and I finally saw Serenity and liked it, even though I can't get into Firefly. But tomorrow it's back to work, so too, back to the project!

3 comments:

  1. Is the other Woolf book 'To the Lighthouse'? I re-read that recently and really enjoyed it. I mean, it's a slog, but the theme of seeking fulfillment in family life-vs-life of the mind is interesting and still relevant and she does some very interesting structural stuff with the storytelling. At the very least, I'm happy to lend you my copy for your own slog. -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is To the Lighthouse, and I'm relieved to hear it was meaningful... that's one downside of Mrs. Dalloway... it's a slog without much meaning thus far. And I would love to borrow your copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...yeah, yeah she goes to the store...blah blah. : )

    ReplyDelete