Sunday, December 19, 2010

My Very Own Keen Reading List

I took the TIME 100, the Modern Library and The Guardian's 100, cross-referenced them in Excel and made my own list (as some of you suggested). Miraculously, it resulted in 50 books. All either appear on two or all three of the lists. 


A Clockwork Orange  Anthony Burgess
A Dance to the Music of Time  Anthony Powell
The Heart is A Lonely Hunter  Carson McCullers
Things Fall Apart Chinua Achebe
Sons and Lovers DH Lawrence
The Golden Notebook Doris Lessing
Ragtime  E.L. Doctorow
A Passage to India  E.M. Forster
The Sun Also Rises  Ernest Hemingway
Brideshead Revisited  Evelyn Waugh
A Handful of Dust  Evelyn Waugh
The Great Gatsby  F. Scott Fitzgerald
Animal Farm  George Orwell
1984  George Orwell
The Heart of the Matter  Graham Greene
Loving  Henry Green
Tropic of Cancer  Henry Miller
Under the Net  Iris Murdoch
The Catcher in the Rye  J.D. Salinger
On the Road  Jack Kerouac
Go Tell it on the Mountain  James Baldwin
Deliverance  James Dickey
Wide Sargasso Sea  Jean Rhys
Appointment in Samarra  John O'Hara
The Grapes of Wrath  John Steinbeck
Nostromo Joseph Conrad
Catch-22  Joseph Heller
Slaughterhouse Five  Kurt Vonnegut
Under the Volcano  Malcolm Lowry
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie  Muriel Spark
The Day of the Locust  Nathanael West
The Sheltering Sky  Paul Bowles
Invisible Man  Ralph Ellison
Native Son  Richard Wright
I, Claudius  Robert Graves
All the King's Men  Robert Penn Warren
Midnight's Children  Salman Rushdie
The Adventures of Augie March  Saul Bellow
An American Tragedy  Theodore Dreiser
The Bridge of San Luis Rey  Thornton Wilder
Beloved Toni Morrison
A House for Mr. Biswas  V.S. Naipaul
To the Lighthouse  Virginia Woolf
Mrs. Dalloway Virginia Woolf
Lolita  Vladimir Nabokov
Pale Fire  Vladimir Nabokov
The Moviegoer  Walker Percy
Death Comes for the Archbishop  Willa Cather
The Sound and the Fury  William Faulkner
Lord of the Flies  William Golding


The books that appear on all three lists are: Orwell's 1984; Ellison's The Invisible Man; Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie,Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse; Nabokov, Lolita; and The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner.

I sadly admit that out of these six, I have only read one, and out of the 50, I've read seven. And all of those readings happened more than 10 years ago, with the exception of The Great Gatsby, which I read last year (for the first time, if you can believe it!). 

I also want to note that Joyce's Ulysses appears on two of the lists, but I've read it once, and once is more than enough. Nor will I acknowledge its place on this list. This is, after all, my list now -- and I say Ulysses doesn't get to be on it.

As for the other 50 books, I really liked Molly's suggestion of taking recommendations from friends about a book that changed their lives. Fair warning: I will probably nix anything I've already read for the latter 50. For example, I know someone will say Pride and Prejudice is a must-read, for example. It is one of my favorite books of all time, but I have read it too many times already.

One more fairly significant thing: I want to read all or most of these by borrowing from the library. I already learned the O'Hara novel isn't even in the Garfield County Library System, which sort of shocks me. The county can order it from Denver, but I am going to talk to the librarian and see if I can purchase & donate whatever books are missing.

This week, I'll write about my love of old library books, also about The Sun Also Rises, which I'm halfway through already.

No comments:

Post a Comment